The Huss Family

12 August 2008

memorial for snoopy

today has been such a sad day! i left the house early to meet a pediatrician and when i arrived home i saw snoopy lying in an uncomfie position in his dog house and it seemed a little strange to me that he didn't get up and greet me. so i walked in and asked my dad if he noticed anything wrong w/snoopy - he went outside to see him.

snoopy wouldn't get up ... COULDN'T. he was only thirsty, wouldn't eat his favorite dog bones. he hobbled for a second just so he could use the restroom but then quickly fell over. he had been yelping all night long - i wondered why he was awake at night, he usually isn't - and now it all came together. he was stuck there unable to move all night and just crying for help!

so dad and i took him down to a pretty corner of the yard, said our good-byes, thanked him for being such a good friend, and let him go of his earthly duties. it was the saddest thing to see him go! i never want to see that again in my life, but it was so harder looking into his eyes and seeing the pain that i'd do it again in an instant! now we need to find a good size rock so he can have a headstone.

we love that dog! he is such a loyal, loving, and mischevious little dog! he had a spark about him and always wanted to love and be loved by you. he was the last of his litter ... the runt and the oldest living. he lived to be 14 years old. i wish animals could have longer lives, but i guess this way we get to have many wonderful friendships and relationships.

what a sad day it is. dad and i have cried tears of loss and tears of joy for snoopy. knowing that he's not gone forever, that i'll see him again, and that the gospel touches every part and aspect of our lives gives me great peace. religion isn't just something i do on sundays for a couple hours ... it is my life! it is what guides my every decision and makes me who i am.

thanx snoopy for all your love!!! we miss you so much!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh man, we TOTALLY know what you feel like. Brad's dog Rocky died the day after Brad's birthday this past month and it was soooooooo hard to say goodbye. All the siblings made Rocky Dedications on our blogs. So sorry for your loss.

SERAPH said...

This post makes me sad. I totally know what you're feeling though. My cat (that I got when I was 7) died 2 years ago and I cried for at least a week straight. I have pictures of her and me up in our house. Is that weird? Shawn then let me get a kitten which helped a lot, but one pet can never replace another one, you know?! I LOVE animals! :) It's nice knowing that you and your dad were both there with him in his lost moments though, right? He felt loved to the very end. :)

How are you feeling though? Do you think there's a chance that little William might come early? I am SO excited for you.

will, jess, gabbie, kensie, cambrie... said...

rachel...i just read your blog. i am so sorry to hear about snoopy. that makes me so sad. remember that we both got snoopy and champ at the same time? wasn't it at a roadshow or something?

anyway. thought i would say hi. hope all is well. good to see that your family is growing.