The Huss Family

09 May 2010

diaper bliss!

after some tweaking i have successfully made some cloth diapers that i am thrilled with!!! here are the specs:

waterproof PUL outer
butter suede inner lining
plastic snaps
pocket style diaper with zipper on the outside back avoiding all solid waste
hemp & microfiber terry cloth inserts
one-size (fits 8-40lb babies)

all thanks to mom's viking sewing machine & a diaper pattern by nykibaby. i'll be making more diapers for several reasons ...

cost savings in the $1000's
enviromentally friendly ... go green!
rash eliminating
skills developing
great for emergency kits & storage


here are some great pics of my little creations ... go cloth diapers!!! everyone should try 'em!

even a little fun & decoration!

6 comments:

prism said...

Wow, Rachel. I'm impressed! Nice job! I used cloth diapers for a while, but basically it was an outer shell, and the baby's skin touched the inserts/soakers, which I think were cotton. I wouldn't say we avoided diaper rash, because it seemed to happen more quickly if we weren't right on top of changes. It looks like the designs have come a way since then.

So with yours, it looks like you would change the cover with every change? But it also looks like it's potentially less messy. :-)

Again -- wow!

Unknown said...

Good job on the diapers! They really look good:) And thanks so much for making me some! I bet they'll be awesome:)

rachel huss said...

yeah, cloth has made tons of advances & become so much easier & less messy than ppl think. these cloth diapers are stuffed w/an absorbent soaker pad and put on like disposables ... easy! prefolds are kinda obselete and great just for burp cloths.

A little bit of this and a little bit of that said...

I agree....these are great! If I ever have babies I will definitely need your pattern :) You are awesome Rach!

2 Nichols Makes a Dime said...

My little sister is pregnant and due in March. Can I call you and get the pattern and I can try (the operative word being try) to make her some? I have your number if it hasn't changed. ;)
Love ya,
Iwalani

2 Nichols Makes a Dime said...

Your post inspired me to do cloth diapers with Corry. I looked into sewing them myself, but I am kind of sewing machine illiterate and so I bought FuzziBunz cloth diapers. They are awesome. I would never go to disposables. I use them when we travel just because I don't ever know if I'll have access to a washing machine, but otherwise it's all cloth. I love them. It's all your fault though. I never would have thought of it if I hadn't seen your post. My sister is pregnant and due in May and she is also going to do cloth. :)